Original Park

Plan of trees and structures in Edwardian ParkThe land for the original 17 Acre park was purchased by Ashford Urban District Council, from George Jemmett and William Bond in 1898.

The Park was completed in 1899 and formally named ‘Victoria Park’ in honour of Queen Victoria. At this time the Park had a bandstand, four shelters, shrubberies, and avenues of trees designed by the famous nurseryman George Bunyard. Many of the trees were donated by local citizens.

The park was enclosed with a metal fence and the fine locally made cast iron gates opposite Christchurch Road which still exist today.